Wednesday, September 17, 2008

WHOA!

So I do believe that when you buy a horse that is supposed to be
"DEAD BROKE" that you should expect to just hop right on your "DEAD BROKE" horse
and ride and ride and enjoy your new found friend. Well this is true if in fact
your said horse was really "DEAD BROKE"! Imagine our surprise when two Sunday's
ago we saddled up our "DEAD BROKE" horse and she reared up STRAIGHT into the air!
Poor little Candice cowgirled up and got her back to the ground... Now at this point
I would be amiss if I did not mention to you that Candice is very good with horses
and has been around horses her entire life. She has even broke her own horse who
is a Arabian and is in the process of Breaking another Arabian mare. So the girl knows her horses and how to handle them. On that Sunday Candice walked away from our horse saying that she will NEVER get on that horse! Hoping to get Bonnie back to her right mind I contacted Lloyd, who I bought her from. He then came out two days later and "got her back to where she should be!" In so doing she showed her 'backside' and ROLLED with the saddle on her!
He promply beat her and then she behaved... Notice I said he beat her! I may not be a
complete knowledgable horse woman yet (although Miss Bonnie is teaching me well) But
a "DEAD BROKE" horse does not need to be beat and I would strongly argue that no horse should be BEAT! I have now enlisted a trainer to work with my lovely horse! can we say money money money???? Our goal right now is that I am taking lessons with the same trainer (she also trains people...LOL) and we are trying to decide if this horse
will ever be able to be our horse. Bonnie will never be a childs horse..PERIOD.
But Mary our trainer feels that she is a great horse but needs a confident experienced rider. Now the test is can we work HER past her issues and can I get past mine fears
of seeing her act up and eventually we can come together. I don't know.. If not she will need to be sold. We are in the process of finding a gentle gelding for Aubrey.
Mary is amazing and is a Angel sent from above.
In the training with Bonnie we have discovered that she has been man handled and worked on fear. She is Neck reined and voice command and ALSO has done cattle.
Mary wanted her to turn tight and cross her back legs and Bonnie would NOT do it, then it dawned on Mary that she has been used for cutting cattle (prior to Lloyd) and
as the saying goes can spin on a dime and slap you back nine cents change. The horse is that good. At the stables there are 7/8 horses and my lovely girl is the poster child of how not to act. Boy do I feel proud as all the other owners look at us
with sympathy... LOL Maybe one day Bonnie can show them what she is made of in a good sense of the word... Or maybe one day she will drive off the property in a trailer to a new family with a sign around her neck that reads " Well trained Horse. for experienced confident rider ONLY! Until that day comes when we are certain of the outcome, we will go day to day and either love her or shake our heads in frustration...depending on the day and how Miss Bonnie decides to act.

No comments: